Friday, July 20, 2012

Fire Cupping

Why Fire Cupping?




My health and wellbeing is one of the most important things to me. Highlighting my downfall here, I admit that at most times it is the most important thing to me. Maintaining my immune system and keeping my body fierce and ready for any battle is daily prep and prevention against illness. Proper nutrition, supplementation, stress management, massage, sleep and rest are fundamentals I practice.
After being very sick for 12 days, (11 days too long for me) refusing antibiotics I decided to go for a fire cupping session...

What is fire cupping?

Fire cupping is a 2,500-year-old method to increase the circulation of blood by bringing fresh blood to the area. Practitioners use fire cupping to treat breathing difficulties such as asthma, cough, and chest tightness. It Is also used to treat cold and flu symptoms, gastrointestinal difficulties, menstrual pain, neck and shoulder pain, low back pain, and sciatica.

Let me talk you through what to expect

With not a single word exchanged between my therapist and I, I am ushered into a cubicle styled massage room and told to undress my upper body. Lost in translation I point to my glute trying to suggest she treat the area too.

Method








She uses cotton wool swabs dipped in alcohol ignites small glass fish bowls and starts applying them on my neck, back, arms, covering the entire area of my back and the top of my gluteus. The skin gets sucked up and rises under the cup as blood rushes up. The cups start pulling and sucking on my skin like huge tentacles and all of a sudden I become very religious feeling out of depth and I start praying. The sensation is not a painful one but an awkward uncomfortable feeling I want to rip the bowls off, instead I focus elsewhere and wait for 20minutes to pass.

Post Cupping

Keep the treated area covered and warm (for example wear a scarf if your neck was treated) and avoid exposure to wind and cold after treatment. Fire cupping should only be done by a trained professional. I visited Jesse Chinese Massage Therapy in Canal Walk referred to me by a trustee Doctor friend.
I was told to hydrate with some honey and rest. I experienced hunger similar to after an intense training session or a long hard run. I ate immediately and slept for 11hours solid. It definitely helped me recover from my flu and cleared my phlegmatic symptoms. I would definitely recommend it.

Bruises




The longest bruises lingered for 7 days although I still have a faint circle on my left tricep still hanging on weeks after.




Gwyneth Paltrow after fire cupping

Jesse Chinese Massage Therapy in Canal Walk can be found in he Skywalk and one can walk in for n appointment. Fire cupping costs R150 per session.

Yours in Fitness

Rushda Moosajee
Personal Trainer | Lifestyle Coach | Marketing

360 Specialized Training
Block F The Boulevard Business Park
Searle Street, Woodstock
Cape Town

360 Gym: 021 461 0360

Cell: 073 234 1388
BBPin: 268F9E63

Website: http://www.360training.co.za/
Follow Us on Twitter:360 Twitter
Follow Me on Twitter: Rushtush Twitter
Add me as a Friend on Facebook:Add me
Like our Facebook Fanpage:360 Fanpage

5 comments:

  1. You get different types of cupping, dry and wet cupping. Dry cupping is when the back is not cut and blood not drawn, but wet cupping is when the back is cut and some blood is bleed out. This is also a sunnah as the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) practiced cupping.
    Very interesting and I commend you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I yes I am aware if it :) I didn't want to go over wet cupping (blood letting) therapy as it was nt what I experienced... Yet and am looking forward to it. I read up about the Prophets Muhammad (PBUH) practices I think it's amazing...

      Delete
  2. I saw a lady at the gym changing room with marks on her back. I thought it was a skin disease but I think it's cupping. I've learnt something new today

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be less skeptical if you hadn't been sick for so long. Recovery seems natural, not the result of any particular therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience rush, im def gonna give it a try:-)

    ReplyDelete