Sunday, April 8, 2012

For the Love of Personal Training

A Concept Called Structure and Passion

I lack discipline, I do things because I love to do them. Im driven by passion, not rules, and step by step guides. Im wreckless and I see training as "fun" and as cheesy as it sounds the fun in functional training gets me excited every time. The ability to challenge the whole body, lifting things, throwing things, rotating while balancing, using co ordination, being explosive, rocketing myself up and forward, jumping and all the traditional base movements involved during and around my practice at 360 Specialized Training my tail wagging like a puppy for a bone. I just lap that stuff up.





Following my strict regime of only 1 weight session a day, that includes body weight cardio, ie sprinting, box jumps, jump lunges etc. I'm allowed 40min of cardio. The boring kind. All I want to do is go and run outside in the rain, the sun, take a trip up the mountain. Live. Telling myself soon is soon and I will be lighter and muscle preservation goal achieved I will be there... Focusing on the end goal is keeping me going and my clients are keeping me sane holding me back like a caged wild women.

Training vicariously through them, this Good Friday I took Mariam for a cardio session. No we don't stand aside the bike or treadmill at 360, it's a bit about fun, well as fun as cardio can be. The session involved skipping intervals and some of my favourite weighted medicine ball pairing techniques I learnt from my PT and owner of 360 Specialized Training, Chris Walsh.

An empty gym calls for much fun with hard bouncing, throwing, squat throws, catch variations and more sprints. We had the luxury of sprinting in between cones also focussing on strengthening the hamstring by sprinting backward. I included some Kettlebell swings and deep frog jumps and Mariam who usually tries to talk her way out of many exercises was totally tricked into everything we did. I incorporate push ups and crunches in every workout as the benefits go far beyond the basic movement pattern. We finished off with some boxing combos (another trick) and by the end of the hour we were both drenched in sweat. Not looking too cute but neither cared. 360 is not that type of gym, empty or not. The athletes come to train hard and there is a lot expected of them, at their own personal pace of course. The beauty of personal training in a private gym...









My clients might not love me during every session as the pain they experience will make sense to them one day, hopefully someday sooner than later. but the body is strong and the governed by the mind. You are a lot stronger than you think you are and I it's our jobs as PT's to help show you. Every session is one step closer to being what you want to be. You may not be there today but you are one session closer.






Putting in the reps
- Friday is Back Day

Changing tshirts I'm off to train back with my Coach, Coach SK. Heavy intense repetition after repetition, focus, breathing, controlling, it's the most mental training I've ever done. When you think you're done, you bloody aren't, and there is no counting, if he yells 10 more you do 10 more.

I walk in and I get greeted with: "warm up on the treadmill,"
Me: "No."
SK: "when you start off with replies like that!" He marches off to the machine puts it on the heaviest weight my frame can handle and suddenly it dawns on me, I am my own worst client! I am the nightmare I cope with daily! This whole time I'm feeling sorry for me, when I should be feeling sorry for him.

I zone out and meditate off to my happy place, I think about the mountain. I think about what others won't do that I do to get where I want to be. It separates Champions from ordinary people. I love doing the extraordinary, as dumb as it may sound challenging your mind to make your body do and become something stronger than the day before by doing something that requires precision and discipline is not normal, it takes a special kind of someone. This is work. No talking, no fun, no box jumps, just work and I'm working on my personal character along the way. God I need discipline.






Do I dare mention my cardio session prior, never, Coach SK will break my back. Twice.
I take home a broken back and a smile. Because nobody ever regretted a training session. The productive nerd inside me wide smiled reminding myself to find something stretch or knit to wear for tonight because the pump makes it impossible to fit into anything... For now at least. Excited face... Dreams a lil...
Until next time.




Yours in Fitness
Rushda Moosajee
Personal Trainer | Lifestyle Coach | Marketing
360 Specialized Training
Block F The Boulevard Business Park
Searle Street, Woodstock
Cape Town
360 Gym: 021 461 0360
Cell: 073 234 1388
BBPin: 268F9E63
Website: http://www.360training.co.za/
Follow Us on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/360trainingcoza
Follow Me on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Rushtush
Add me as a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539436775
Like our Facebook Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/360SpecializedTraining?ref=ts

2 comments:

  1. You are inspiration to us all, even though I am not one of your clients I still look up to you! I have ever since I started at 360, I always said to myself... one day I will be like Rushda :) Keep going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mental fight with yourself is the hardest fight you will ever encounter pushing your body to the next level takes extra ordinary focus,determination and the body to soak up the pain but once you have gone through that it's like giving birth to a new kind of you, better,faster,stronger but it needs discipline and focus to stay the course if you loose these two virtues you will loose the ability to hold on to what you achieved..Good luck with your goals hope you achieve them sooner than you anticipate

    ReplyDelete