Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Not A Day Without - Supplementation

What My Body Needs it Gets




I run a tight ship, everything that goes into my body gets screened and double checked. Reinforcements for every supplement not possible to be consumed in my diet can be found in pill, powder or gel form in one of my "Supply Bags". I dont go anywhere without a protein snack, and I'm often made fun of pulling out grilled chicken breast, steak, boiled eggs, you name the protein, it's come out my bag. If you know me you know I'm having a bad day when I'm pulling a couple of chocolate bars out instead and chivalry comes in the form of protein shake tubs, l 'glutamine and egg trays (not the chocolate kind).

Due to my recent diet structure, consisting mostly of fish, you can imagine the smell, offending all trainers and clients a like. Not a fan of gum. It makes me hungry. I just can't get the smell of fish off my fingertips. Mind power goes a long way when i close my eyes imagining every bite going to the exact spot where my body needs it, fuel, restoration, repair and growth is all I'm thinking...

So yes, not a day without 1) protein. The solid type. I try eat most of my protein as often as I can and rarely use a protein shake.




Supplements

Habitually upon rising I take my multivitamin, Omega -3 fish oil gel pills, Ester C Combo, (which I love because it has rose hips, bioflavonoids, kelp and spirulina, scratchy throat and runny nose I pop 2 of these every 3 hours). I'm never without a bottle of water at my bedside.

During heavy weight training my joints suffer and I can particularly feel it when I'm feeling animal and close to overtraining. Mountain escapades, sprint sessions on the tread mill, heavy leg pressing, plyometrics, heavy weighted squats and lunges is asking to feel like 90 when your body is performing like a 21 year old. Totally normal.





People go from 0 to hero, all of sudden "running" and doing every class in the gym with no conditioning and bad shoes. If conditioned athletes are feeling niggels then what does the average Joe expect? Make sure you are getting enough fatty lipids through fish oils like Omega -3 supplements. My added favourite Is Buchulife's JOINT HEALTH. With Buchu oil and salmon oil. When it comes to injuries, prevention is better than cure and I will ALWAYS recommend proper "prehab" from a professional. To book a consultation with myself or any other of the trainers at 360 all the details are available below. My other trustee joint supplement is Joint Revolution by THE REAL THING. Love it. It works.




You cannot build the Empire State on unaligned, faulty and unstable infrastructure. You can't fall apart before you have even begun. The road to fitness is one that should be enjoyed, not an adopt several injuries ride.

Ask yourself: How valuable is my body? Is this body going to take me far? How far and how fast am i going? Now look down at your running shoes...
Don't run in bad shoes. Sort your "prehab" out and sort your shoes out.

I only run in Asics, Gel Nimbus. To be honest, I'm afraid to try anything new as preventing an injury is better than the time spent wishing "I shouldn't of run in those bad shoes," or "I knew my body was fatigued but I played that game of touch." I'm not saying don't go running in the rain and if you're tired don't train, but the body is sacred and you should listen to it. In the end it's your ego that will get in the way of your goals.








Everyone who is anyone who has trained at 360 Specialized Trainingthat leads a fit active life, will know that being in a constant state of pain is perfectly normal. There is no such thing as DOMS because the body is being stretched to its limits, broken and moulded all before you can even remember what just happened to you.





With functional training and Kettlebells in particular there is no such thing as a "Upper Body" day, it's legs legs and more legs, we use our legs to move dont we?

Enter L'Glutamine.

Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles - over 61% of skeletal muscle is Glutamine. Glutamine consists of 19% nitrogen, making it the primary transporter of nitrogen into your muscle cells.

During intense training, Glutamine levels are greatly depleted in your body, which decreases strength, stamina and recovery. It could take up to 6 days for Glutamine levels to return to normal - and Glutamine plays a key role in protein synthesis. Studies have shown that L-Glutamine supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism.

L'Glutamine and Your Immune System

L-Glutamine isn't only for athelets. Glutamine is essential for maintaining intestinal function and aiding in the immune response as well. After glutamine is synthesized in skeletal muscle it is released into the bloodstream and transported to the kidney, liver and small intestine and cells of the immune system where it plays another vital role.

Glutamine is used by white blood cells and contributes to normal immune-system function. Individuals with muscle-wasting and immune-system related illnesses (such as cancer or AIDS) who may be incapable of manufacturing their own supply of glutamine may benefit from glutamine supplements taken along with other amino acids. Becoming ill or losing lean muscle mass are potential signs of glutamine deficiency.

This explains my 1kg pack! Cannot go a day without. Post cardio, post weights and at bedtime if I'm feeling run down.

Yours in Fitness

Rushda Moosajee
Personal Trainer | Lifestyle Coach | Marketing

360 Specialized Training
Block F The Boulevard Business Park
Searle Street, Woodstock
Cape Town

360 Gym: 021 461 0360
Cell: 073 234 1388
BBPin: 268F9E63

Website: http://www.360training.co.za/

Follow Us on Twitter: 360Trainingcoza
Follow Me on Twitter:Rushtush

Add me as a Friend on Facebook: Rushda(Ryshtush)
Like our Facebook Fanpage:360Fanpage

No comments:

Post a Comment